Thursday, March 19, 2009

Language.

Prompt: What do you notice now about the language used in your narrative that you didn't notice when you originally wrote it? How does your use of pronouns play a role that you notice?

After learning about what our narrative was REALLY about, it really made me think. I never thought about how much people can think that a certain job such as a nurse, is only for females and another job such as a professor, is only for males. This causes people to refer nurses as a "she" and a professor as a "he" no matter what gender they really are. and I was really surprised to see that I kind of followed these stereotypes because in my narrative, the teacher and the nurse were females while the police officer, physician and attorney were male, but my judge was a female ONLY because I was thinking about Judge Judy while I was writing, haha.

These pronouns cause certain genders to have dominance in certain jobs. I think males have the most dominance in these pronouns because we refer to the male pronoun "he" whenever a specific gender isn't mentioned. We also say things such as "hey guys!", "you guys!", etc. when we're talking to a mixed gendered group or even a whole group of females!

In order to fix this, I think the English language should create a pronoun that can be meant for a male AND female. I thought it was pretty interesting how the kids of Baltimore use the word "yo" to refer to a person. We should do something like that, but just create a different word because using "yo" sounds kind of weird to me. But then again, it probably doesn't sound weird to them. As we discussed in class, we grow up and get accustomed to the language and slang used in our area. The east and west coast have different ways of speaking, and each side probably finds the other side's way of speaking weird too.

1 comment: