Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Chapter 16; Between Drumner and Dremegole

So today, we had a very good discussion. Not only was it creative, but the questions were interesting too! There were two questions that I wanted to respond to in this blog because I found them the most interesting...

Q: When questioned, "What is a women?" by Estraven, Genly falters and is unable to come up with an answer. What do you think would happen if the Foretellers were asked this question? Is there an answer to this question?

A: In my opinion, if someone were to ask the Foretellers, "What is a women?" I don't think they would be able to give an answer. Usually, people go to the Foretellers to ask them questions about their futures. They'll ask something like, "When will I die?" for example. A question like "What is a women?" would probably confuse them. I don't think they would be able to come up with an answer to that question because it has nothing to do with the asker's future. I think that there is an answer to this question, but many answers at that. There isn't one definite answer to what a "women" is. You could base the definition on genetics, reproductive systems, stereotypes, etc. Therefore, there could many possibilities on the definition of "women".

and as for the 2nd question... I don't know exactly what it was, but it was along the lines of interpreting this quote:

"Light is the left hand of darkness
and darkness is the right hand of light.
Two are one, life and death, lying
together like lovers in kemmer,
like hands joined together,
like the end and the way. "


and basically, I thought the quote meant that one must experience life in order to experience death. You can't just go through one without going through the other. Life is basically a pathway to death. Just like how it was mentioned in today's discussion, it's similiar to "Yin and Yang". Life and death are two seperate parts that complete one another. There's no way you could die without living and when you live, eventually you're going to die. Light and dark stick together and are chain reactions that cannot be broken.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you incorporated the picture to fit in with what you're saying. I get how you incorporate yin and yang into the life of how a person lives and dies and how two halves make a whole and a circle that continues. I definately agree that you're trying to explain that life itself is a cycle as well. The quote you used was really interesting too. I also like how you incorporate the what is a woman question because it reminds me of the bead women and how they could answer almost everything. The foretellers are subjected to certain questions of telling the future but not of what they know.

    ReplyDelete