Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The End!..

Wow, it feels like just yesterday where we just started reading the book and now all of a sudden, we're finally done with it! I must say the book was pretty good even though it was confusing A LOT of times. Well, what can I say..

In chapter 19, I'm glad that they had finally found civilization! I was wondering how long they would have had to travel until they finally reached a town. I'm surprised that the place they arrived in welcomed them. If I were those people, I would've been kind of scared because first of all, two people just came walking into my house out of nowhere and second of all, I don't even know who these people are, where they came from or what they want from me!! But I guess Genly and Estraven were lucky enough to stumble upon a nice home who welcomed them with open arms.

So, after having a little bit of rest and eating some food, they went back on their journey. I remember one of the last group's questions was something like "Do you think Estraven knew the guards were there as he skiied by? Why do you think he kept going even though the guards were there?" In my opinion, I don't think Estraven necessarily knew the guards were there, but I also don't think he cared they were there either. I mean, he's already been exiled from his home, which is where he's trying to go back to. So he either would've stopped skiing and got caught and be taken back to jail, or just keep going and hope that they didn't catch him. I think he didn't stop because there was nothing for him to live for. He might as well have took the risk and kept going because if he didn't, he would've just been taken to jail or something. I think I would've taken the risk too because I'd rather risk my life to get away rather than going back to jail and probably staying there to live the rest of my life miserably.

It's sad that Estraven had to die and that Genly had to be there to witness it. I was hoping they would've continued their friendship at the end of the book. I didn't think that one of them was going to die, so that was a surprise to me. The book was pretty good, and in the end, Genly is having a conversation with Estraven's father and Estraven's son. The book doesn't really have a real ending, so I wonder if there's supposed to be another part to it, like another novel continuing it or something?.. oh well, it was good while it lasted!

1 comment:

  1. Shirlyn,

    You might be happy to know that while Le Guin did not write a sequel for Left Hand, she did continue to use the society of Gethen in short stories. I have a collection with a few which I'll bring in and I'm happy to make you a copy of any!

    ReplyDelete