Monday, March 9, 2009

Chapter 9; "Estraven the Traitor" & Chapter 10; "Conversations in Mishnory"

Back again with my thoughts!.. but this time, it'll be on chapters 9 and 10.

Although chapter 9 was pretty short, I was SO confused while reading it!! In the beginning, Estraven arrives at some type of shack, where he meets someone and they vow to kemmer. Then all of a sudden, some Stok men came and "stabbed Estraven in the throat and chest, and the young man fell across the cold hearth in his blood, dead." (pg. 126-127) OUCH! but okay, after reading that, i thought Estraven was dead. but then, on page 129, it talks about Estraven having a conversation with Stokven. And after that point, i was totally lost. First of all, I thought Estraven was dead?! But now all of a sudden he's alive and having a conversation with somebody? What's happening here?! After having the group discussion today, I was told that they were two DIFFERENT Estravens. That makes a lot more sense to me now!.. but I don't understand why someone would want to name him after some guy who was just killed and considered a "traitor".

Chapter 10 made more sense to me. I truly admire Genly for continuing to find different nations to unite with his own. He takes a risk by telling the Commensals more about him and his NAFAL ship. I think it's kind of weird how he has one of his ships orbiting around their sun and there are people in the ship "hibernating" and just waiting for Genly to get in contact with them. I'm surprised that the Commensals weren't so scared about that. I mean, c'mon, you have some ship orbiting around your nation and you don't even know who the people in there are.. but okay i guess. I also thought it was interesting how the Ekumen "does not enforce laws." (pg. 137) That's amazing how they can rule their society without any worry of their citizens causing any harm or unlawful acts towards one another.

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chapter 9 was confusing because they called the guy in Genly's time Estraven so that readers would think that it was a name, but it isn't really a name.
    Estraven is just what they call people from the domain Estre (Like calling someone American if they're from America, was the example I used in my blog). Stokven is what they call people from Stok. Notice how the author calls Therem of Stok, Stokven.
    I think that would explain it- the first Estraven (Arek) doesn't come back to life lol. And I think it would also explain that the 2nd Estraven (Therem) is not named after Arek, who was murdered. In fact, he was named after Therem of Stok, I believe.

    To me, that explained why the Estraven in Genly's time had two names, Estraven and Therem, Therem being his real name.

    That's just my interpretations.
    Sorry I messed up on the other comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought that too, Herman, but one of the groups brought up their idea that it actually indicates someone is the "Lord of" that domain. That's a great idea too, so that has maybe changed my thinking a little. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete