Wednesday, April 15, 2009

"The Handmaid's Tale" - Night

This book is starting to get a little bit harder to understand. I feel this way because sometimes, and I really do mean sometimes, Atwood chooses not to use quotation marks. I wonder why she chooses to make only certain peoples' words in quotations and not with the other characters. After the discussions in class on Monday and Tuesday, I learned that the "Marthas" were at home servants.

There is one quote I'd like to speak about from chapter 18:
"But this is wrong, nobody dies from lack of sex. It's lack of love we die from. There's nobody here I can love, all the people I could love are dead or elsewhere." (pg. 103)
I think it's unfair that they are forced to sleep with men that they aren't interested in and must also bear their baby. It's especially sad because the men already have their own wives, but their wives can't have babies because of certain reasons such as radiation, age, etc. But in my opinion, I don't think that's an excuse to force someone else to have sex with you. The woman may not even know the man, but they are forced to sleep with him. That's so wrong! I also wonder how the mens' wives feel about that and how the children will feel about it when they grow up knowing that their mom doesn't even love their dad and was just forced to sleep with him. It seems like the females in the society do not live very happy lives. I feel so sorry for them! I don't even want to imagine what it would be like to have to deal with that type of situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment